Tuesday, November 08, 2016

Marine Art Museum




Although it is lovely and recalls Minnesota in summer, I really should not include this photo for the Marine Art Museum in Winona, Minnesota because it is not representative of this world-class collection of American and European art.  Much to my dismay, I discovered that NO photographs are allowed in this remarkable and small gem of a museum, located in a Mississippi River town with a population of 27, 000.  This stained glass piece was on view in the entrance, and I snapped a photo before I was aware that photography is verboten. I was tempted to snap some unauthorised pictures but did not find any opportunity to do so.

The museum is astonishing with several galleries of truly remarkable paintings, which are on loan from the collection of the museum’s chief backers, Mary Burrichter and her husband, Robert “Bob” Kierlin, whose $700 million fortune derives from Fastenal, his $15 billion Winona-based hardware-supply company that Bloomberg BusinessWeek last year called “the top-performing stock since the crash of ‘87.”

If you read this newspaper article describing the museum, you will appreciate the outstanding  paintings it has on display, and if you are ever in the area (it's a 2-hour drive from the Twin Cities), a visit there would be an extraordinary experience!.


8 comments:

  1. Lovely work of stained glass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess they have their reasons for the photography ban but it is rather disappointing to us camera people. If the flash is turned off, it shouldn't be a big problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that stained-glass piece...would that not make a wonderful window in a door or front room? I don't understand the "no photos" policy of so many museums, and usually try to abide by them, except when I don't want to. :) Our museum here has a few items labeled "no photography" but most is open and free which is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful stained glass!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a beautiful stained glass piece scene, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That stained glass DOES recall the Land of 10,000 Lakes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty stained glass. I can just see the headlines. St Paul bloger jailed for unauthorized photography. We would have to take a collection to post bail. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boo! I wish places didn't ban photography, though some people don't know how to turn off the flash on their cameras.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!