Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Station 14


After these four handsome firemen sat next to me I asked them how they felt about the fact that  St. Paul's first fire station located at the corner of Leech Street and Grand Aveue is in peril of being demolished. A developer plans to tear down the 145-year-old building and replace it with a 109-unit Marriott.  Jonathan, on the left, suggested that the new hotel could creatively incorporate the fire station into the design of the hotel.  Not a bad idea!  We should advise the developer of this good idea! I enjoyed the conversation with the other men: next to Jonathan and to the right are Bryan, Jim and Patrick (a 4th generation Irishman whose ancestors came from County Cork). Before I left, I thanked them for their service and hope to see them again. . .not at my home while they are on call but over another cup of coffee.

Photo of Oldest St. Paul Fire Station (Credit: Pioneer Press)
Linking to Our World Tuesday and Through My Lens



Added later:  Again my day begins with another  scene of horror --- this time in Brussels. The world we live in is not safe from terrorist. My heartfelt sympathy to the victims!

14 comments:

  1. What a handsome group of brave firefighters Kate, what a shame about that lovely old firestation, I'm guessing they will be building a brand new firestation right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice when you can thank them personally for the great service they provide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are all firemen Hollywood handsome? I think so. Great idea about the old fire station. I hope that flies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just what you expect fire fighters to look like!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A firefighter saved my life when I was a baby. I have a strong appreciation for these men.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice fire fighters you have overthere!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grand avenue a favorite venue of my spouse. Somehow I've missed noticing the station...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate to think that old fire station will be demolished. Nice photo of the fire fighters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some of St. Paul's finest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is one of the best ways to get to know them...over a cup of coffee. (BTW, my photo today was at a dog park. Like you, I never take my pooch to them and for the same reason. Plus it can be a a place to pick up all manner of maladies.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. They have an important job to do.
    I first thought they had some Viking blood in them, but I guess I was wrong there:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice looking group of guys.

    The news from Brussels made us all sad. Maybe angry is more like it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. God bless the firemen and all those who help in emergencies. They are brave people.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!