Tuesday, March 01, 2016

Geography, Body, or Soul? (March, 2016 Theme: Heimat)



Heimat

Geography seems to be a place of reference for many bloggers when heimat is considered.

My birth in a small community in Door County, Wisconsin,  on the shores of Lake Michigan marked my beginning. A place where my family and I regularly return and some members of my family still remain.

Adolescent and young adult life in Green Bay, Wi, did not leave a yearning to return after I left "to see the world" as a flight attendant, but it has left an indelible desire for frequent travel.
Later after college, marriage and living in Minnesota for almost half my life, I cannot claim heimat here although it has been a very good life.

For me, heimat is part of my spirit and soul wherever and whenever I can fulfill a desire for some form of education, formal or informal: art museums, schools, colleges and travel. The photo above is the art gallery, next to the library, in the school in which I taught for 30 years, only one  example of my 
Heimat

Click here to see how other CDP bloggers describe their heimat.

16 comments:

  1. It was a bit of a challenge this theme Kate, there were so many ways to go with it. I enjoyed the the way you approached it and relate as far as not really experiencing a longing to settle in my birthplace, Scotland, even though very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks wonderful the new galery. I agree where you worked was your home, with your collegues seeing every day more then your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i enjoyed this post miss kate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Kate! Very well said. I struggled with this subject because I feel the same as you. I love traveling and sometimes feel just as at home in London as I do in Phoenix. I really feel that I belong wherever I am!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could enjoy myself in that gallery, Kate! Excellent choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometime HOME is where you hang your hat---and that's a good thing.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely thoughts of a place where you belong!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I figured art or books would be part of your heimat. Cool photo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice interpretation….and well stated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great building! Finding the perfect image to represent Heimat is not easy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely post Kate. And I so agree with you, there are many places I feel at home, much more so than Versailles...

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful post for the theme Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice...and what a beautiful place to represent your heimat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous art gallery. My kind of place.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!